I recently had the pleasure of participating in a raw dessert class and learnt how to make some guilt-free raw vegan treats such as chocolate truffles, chocolate mousse, berry sponge cake and the list goes on. Can you actually imagine eating a dessert that could be good for you? Sounds too good be to be true but true it is! In this class I learnt how to make desserts with simple ingredients. Did you know you could make chocolate mousse with an avocado? … and it’s actually really yummy.
Unfortunately, as a nation we consume way too much refined sugar and those who have a weakness for something sweet are the ones that find it hardest to say no. Especially when our supermarkets are overloaded with chocolate, biscuits, lollies, ice-cream… you name it. Not only are these foods addictive but they are also linked to obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer and many more. Refined sugars contain no enzymes, no minerals, no proteins, no fibre, only empty calories really… sounds like a waste of time and energy munching down on that junk food don’t you think? And ladies I haven’t even touched on how it impacts PMS, sugar sends your hormones beserk!
Now that I’ve been introduced to these great recipes, I’ve had the chance to experiment with some of my own so I feel it’s only fair that I should share them with you, so below are some of the ingredients and how good they are for you….
Raw cacao can help reduce blood pressure and blood-clotting, making arteries more flexible, and decrease low-density-lipoprotein (LDL, the bad cholesterol).
Coconuts are rich in vitamins and minerals. Coconuts are high in lauric acid, which is known for being antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal, and boosts the immune system.
Goji Berries are powerful antioxidants and are anti-aging.
Almonds are an excellent source of vitamin E and magnesium, and a good source of protein and fibre which make them good for the brain, good for the heart and regulates cholesterol and blood pressure.
Raw Chocolate Coconut Rough with Goji Berries
- 2 tablespoons of raw cacao
- ½ cup of desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup of cold pressed extra virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup Almond butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- 1 handful of Goji Berries
- 2 teaspoons of Coconut Syrup
1. Grab a small container or small baking tray and place baking paper in it so ingredients do not stick to it.
2. Melt coconut oil and Almond butter together on low eat in either saucepan or frypan
3.Add Vanilla extract and coconut syrup- mix all ingredients together while soft in saucepan
4. Once all melted together, mix all the above ingredients into the bowl until all completely mixed
5. Place ingredients on baking paper and freeze for half hour… Enjoy 🙂